Brand new theme for the Character Design Challenge! Learn all the rules to participate, promote your work and join the coolest community of character designers on the Internet!Read More
Hello everybody! Welcome to the Character Design Challenge (CDChallenge), an online community open to artists of any level, background and drawing style who want to create and share their unique vision of a chosen theme, every month!
- First time here? Learn all you need to know about the CDChallenge, click HERE
- Not a member yet? Discover how to become a member of our community, click HERE
- Looking for the community rules? Don't forget to read them before posting, click HERE
- Want to access to the Challenge Rewards and Themes Surveys? Click HERE
Ready to start? Join the Community Read the Rules Sharpen your Pencils Let's Draw!
IMPORTANT: Are you are an hardcore fan of the CDChallenge? You can now join us on Patreon, a crowdfunding platform that allows you to help the projects you love! Receiving your support doesn't just help us out massively to secure the future of the Character Design Challenge, but it makes you vote the new Themes of the Month, suggesting new ideas and when you re-post your design on our Patreon page also.. win awesome prizes! Learn more about it HERE
Challenge #41: Street Fighter
This challenge is presented by Character Design Quarterly, the Official Partner of CDChallenge. Character Design Quarterly is a lively, creative magazine bringing inspiration, expert insights and leading techniques to professional illustrators, artists and art lovers worldwide. Subscriptions available now!
OPEN SUBMISSION DAY AND DEADLINE
Open submissions will be from May 7th, 2018 until the deadline of June 2nd 2018 at 11:59pm (GMT + 0:00) Dublin Time (Please don't forget the +1 hour Daylight Saving Time, used in Europe from April to October). All the artworks for the challenge will be carefully reviewed by the Character Design References team.
''Sagat, the world best Muay Thai fighter, invites all the top martial artists from all around the world in Thailand to compete in a tournament to prove that he is the greater fighter alive. But in reality this competition is secretly organised by the bloodthirsty and cruel leader of the Shadaloo criminal organisation, M. Bison. He wants to put his hands on Ryu, a young fighter from Japan, who's the key to fully unleash his mysterious and murderous 'Psyco Power'. Bison is ready to use as many illegal methods as possible to achieve his final goal of dominating the world and bend it to his will. Only a courageous fighter can stop his evil plans. Are you ready? Fight!...''
We invite all artists to unleash their creativity and design a powerful fighter from this beloved game franchise!
Fan-art / Redesign Challenges Special Guidelines
- This is a Fan Art / Redesign challenge. In these special challenges it's not allowed to mix your character with another one from another franchise, movie or book (no Pikachu-Chun Lee, no Wolverine-Ryu, etc.)
- No original characters, only designs based on existing characters from the official Street Fighter franchise.
- No mash-ups of original characters (no Half Ken / Half Blanka, and so on)
- Your character can be based on ANY canonic character from the Street Fighter universe.
- No characters from Street Fighter VS Marvel or Street Fighter VS Capcom, and son.
- Characters who originated in Final Fight but have become mainstays of Street Fighter are allowed.
- Street Fighter EX characters are allowed
- Gender-bend is allowed
- To avoid any confusion, please try to include the name of the original character you have redesigned in the caption of your post.
- Make sure to read all the main Rules of the CDChallenge
- Focus and design only 1 main character.
- Your character can be of any gender, race and age.
- The theme already offers many awesome characters to explore, but if you really want, your character can be from alternative time (a futuristic cyborg M. Bison from the 25th century, a victorian Guile living in foggy London..) but BE VERY CAREFUL! Make sure your design shows enough elements that connects to the theme or your artwork will not be accepted. We want to see the key elements of the canonic character to be recognisable.
- Your character can be an hero, an anti-hero or a villain.
- Feel free to explore the rich history of the Street Fighter franchise. Make sure to do your research right and feel free to look up online for references and info. Start by checking out the Wikipedia page about it HERE
- If your character has a sidekick, please make sure we can clearly see who is the main character and who is his/her sidekick otherwise your artwork will be considered as a line up of characters based on the same archetype, which is against the rules.
- Despite the number of additional characters, the focus of your design must be a single character. If it's unclear who is the main character of your design, your submission will not be approved.
- Infants and children can be considered sidekicks only if your main character is an adult. If you are confused about this rule, please don't take any risk and include only a single character based on the theme in your work.
- Your character can drive a vehicle or ride a creature
- Your design can be created in any style and for many hypothetical purposes. For example, your artwork could be a character study created for an animated 2D, 3D, stop-motion, live action movie or for a mobile app and a video game (these are ''model sheet entries'', which are by definition, what is considered proper character design in the animation, game and movie industry). Your artwork can also be the illustration of a character for the cover page of a novel, a pen & paper role-playing game, a tabletop game, an art book, comic book or a children book (these are ''illustrative entries'', which are welcomed in the group even if they are not proper character design), and it can also be a design for a t-shirt, a brand or a sport team (these are ''mascot entries'' which are also acceptable as submissions in the group). Whatever is the type of artwork you decide to submit in the group (model sheet entry, illustrative entry or mascot entry), please make sure avoid to draw or paint any complicated, distracting and overly detailed background.
- 3D submission can be posted ONLY as additional entries, please READ THE RULES before posting.
- As usual, anthropomorphic animal versions of your character are more than welcome.
✔ GOOD Blanka with his monkey pet ( 1 character + 1 sidekick).
✔ GOOD Guile riding his chopper ( 1 character + vehicle).
✔ GOOD Cammy mum with her two children ( 1 character + 2 sidekick).
✔ GOOD Giant Mecha-Zangief with 2 pilots on his shoulders ( 1 character + 2 sidekicks).
✔ GOOD 'Heavy-rock-inspired' Abigail playing his electric guitar.
✔ GOOD An anthropomorphic-fox Ryu
✘ NOT GOOD Gouken and Akuma fighting each other ( 2 characters based on the theme).
✘ NOT GOOD Chun Lee and Sakura dancing ( 2 characters based on the theme).
✘ NOT GOOD A Street Fighter character that doesn't look like one at all ( theme unrecognisable).
✘ NOT GOOD Alex and Makoto getting married (2 characters based on the theme).
The Challenge Rewards are the official prizes of the Character Design Challenge! Each reward contains some of the best resources for illustrators and visual development artists available online today, and also two of the most interesting, original and well crafted graphic novels crowd-funded in the last years!
The Challenge Rewards are presented by: CtrlPaint, Masters of Anatomy, 21 Draw, Tatai Lab, Spaceman Project! A huge thanks to all of these awesome companies for being part of the CDChallenge journey!
The prizes for this month are:
- Concept Art Starter Kit & Digital Painting Starter Kit (video-tutorials lessons)
- Digital Painting Starter Kit (video-tutorials lessons)
- Lùmina & Lùmina 2 (graphic novel)
- Nima (graphic novel)
- Character Design Masterclass & Anatomy in Action (2 artbooks)
- 21Draw: Book One & Illustrator's Guidebook (2 artbooks)
Check the Rewards section of our website to discover all the prizes! You can find it HERE
If you wish to access the Challenge Rewards, simply repost your design for the current Theme of the Month on Patreon, as a Supporter of the CDChallenge. Being a Supporter doesn't just help us massively to keep the CDChallenge going, will also make you vote in the survey to choose the future themes every month, and discover them before anybody else, 2 days earlier! Visit our Patreon page here HERE
Character Design Quarterly
This challenge is presented and brought to you by Character Design Quarterly, the Official Partner of CDChallenge!
Character Design Quarterly (CDQ) is an exciting new print magazine for illustrators, artists, animators and character art enthusiasts. Releasing four times a year, the magazine will offer inspirational and educational articles, tutorials and interviews from top industry professionals specifically geared to helping artists hone their character design skills. This unique, engaging magazine will provide a regular stream of insider knowledge and illuminating advice from experienced professionals and freelancers to help artists of all skill levels improve their workflow and designs. New issues will be released at regular three-month intervals in September, December, March and June. Subscriptions are available now!