Hello everybody! Welcome to the Character Design Challenge (CDChallenge), an online community open to artists of any level, background and drawing style who want to create and share their unique vision of a chosen theme, every month!
- First time here? Learn all you need to know about the CDChallenge, click HERE
- Not a member yet? Discover how to become a member of our community, click HERE
- Looking for the community rules? Don't forget to read them before posting, click HERE
- Want to access to the Challenge Rewards and Themes Surveys? Click HERE
Ready to start? Join the Community Read the Rules Sharpen your Pencils Let's Draw!
NEWS: Are you are an hardcore fan of the CDChallenge? You can now join us on Patreon, a crowdfunding platform that allows you to help the projects you love! Receiving your support doesn't just help us out massively to secure the future of the Character Design Challenge, but it makes you vote the new Themes of the Month, suggesting new ideas and when you re-post your design on our Patreon page also.. win awesome prizes! Learn more about it HERE
Challenge #34: Demons & Devils
This challenge is presented by Character Design Quarterly, the Official Partner of CDChallenge. Character Design Quarterly is a lively, creative magazine bringing inspiration, expert insights and leading techniques to professional illustrators, artists and art lovers worldwide. Subscriptions available now! Click HERE
OPEN SUBMISSION DAY AND DEADLINE
Open submissions will be from October 7th, 2017 until the deadline of November 2nd 2017 at 11:59pm (GMT + 0:00) Dublin Time (Please don't forget the +1 hour Daylight Saving Time, used in Europe from April to October). All the artworks for the challenge will be carefully reviewed by the Character Design References team and Lorenzo Etherington, our Special Guest Juror for this challenge.
''The cursed book ''The Nine Gates to the Kingdom of Shadows'', which was supposedly written by Satan himself, has been brought to New York. The legend says that hidden in the pages is a riddle that, if solved, will open the Nine Gates of Hell. On the 2nd of November, The Day of the Dead, a black mass is finally organised by the leader of a secret society who claims to have the answer to the riddle. An ancient ritual is recreated, the forbidden words pronounced. At midnight, the armies of Lucifer, Beelzebub, Sathanus, Abaddon, Mammon, Belphegor and Asmodeus enter the mortal world after thousand of years..''
We invite all artists to unleash their creativity and design a Demon or a Devil!
- Focus and design only 1 main character.
- Your character can be of any gender, race and age.
- The theme already offers thousands of awesome characters to explore, but if you really want, your character can be from alternative time (a futuristic cyborg Demon from the 24th century, a medieval horned devil at the court of a king and so on..) but BE VERY CAREFUL! Make sure your design shows enough elements that connects to the theme or your artwork will not be accepted.
- Your character can be an anti-hero or a villain.
- Feel free to explore the rich history of the Demons and Devils in religion and folklore. Creatures such as Lucifer, Beelzebub, Sathanus, Abaddon, Mammon, Belphegor and Asmodeus are only a few names of the dark beings who populates hundreds and hundreds of stories in both eastern and western culture. Make sure to do your research right and feel free to look up online some of the names mentioned above. Check out the Wikipedia page about Demons HERE, the Classification of Demons HERE and Hell HERE
- If your character has a sidekick, please make sure we can clearly see who is the main character and who is his/her sidekick otherwise your artwork will be considered as a line up of characters based on the same archetype, which is against the rules.
- Despite the number of additional characters, the focus of your design must be a single character. If it's unclear who is the main character of your design, your submission will not be approved.
- Infants and children can be considered sidekicks only if your main character is an adult. If you are confused about this rule, please don't take any risk and include only a single character based on the theme in your work.
- Your character can drive a vehicle or ride a creature
- Your design can be created in any style and for many hypothetical purposes. For example, your artwork could be a character study created for an animated 2D, 3D, stop-motion, live action movie or for a mobile app and a video game (these are ''model sheet entries'', which are by definition, what is considered proper character design in the animation, game and movie industry). Your artwork can also be the illustration of a character for the cover page of a novel, a pen & paper role-playing game, a tabletop game, an art book, comic book or a children book (these are ''illustrative entries'', which are welcomed in the group even if they are not proper character design), and it can also be a design for a t-shirt, a brand or a sport team (these are ''mascot entries'' which are also acceptable as submissions in the group). Whatever is the type of artwork you decide to submit in the group (model sheet entry, illustrative entry or mascot entry), please make sure avoid to draw or paint any complicated, distracting and overly detailed background.
- 3D submission can be posted ONLY as additional entries, please READ THE RULES before posting.
- As usual, anthropomorphic animal versions of your character are more than welcome.
✔ GOOD Beelzebub with his demonic fly pet ( 1 character + 1 sidekick).
✔ GOOD 70's Hippy Lucifer riding a motorbike ( 1 character + vehicle).
✔ GOOD Devil mum with her two children ( 1 character + 2 sidekick).
✔ GOOD Giant Mecha-Abaddon with 2 human pilots on his shoulders ( 1 character + 2 sidekicks).
✔ GOOD Belphegor rock musician smashing his electric guitar
✔ GOOD An anthropomorphic-goat Asmodeus monk
✘ NOT GOOD Two demons fighting each other ( 2 characters based on the theme).
✘ NOT GOOD Two devil girls dancing ( 2 characters based on the theme).
✘ NOT GOOD A demon that doesn't look like a demon at all ( theme unrecognisable).
✘ NOT GOOD Mr. Devil and Ms. Demon getting married (2 characters based on the theme).
This month we have the absolute pleasure and honour to have the great Lorenzo Etherington as Special Guest Juror for the Character Design Challenge!
Lorenzo, working with his brother Robin, is one half of The Etherington Brothers. They have been making all-ages comic adventures for over a decade, and are the creators of Long Gone Don, Monkey Nuts, Freaky and Fearless, Baggage and Von Doogan. They have created comics, stories and art for Star Wars, Transformers, The Phoenix, How to Train Your Dragon, The Dandy, Kung Fu Panda, Wallace & Gromit, Madagascar and James Bond. Their client list includes Disney, Dreamworks, Aardman, the BBC, and many of the world's largest book publishers. The brothers have toured the world performing sold out shows on creativity and storytelling. Lorenzo posts huge new design sets and tutorials every week, and his giant art books are collected by professionals working in many of the worlds' biggest animation and gaming studios.
The Challenge Rewards are the official prizes of the Character Design Challenge! Each reward contains some of the best resources for illustrators and visual development artists available online today, and also two of the most interesting, original and well crafted graphic novels crowd-funded in the last years!
The Challenge Rewards are presented by: CtrlPaint, Masters of Anatomy, 21 Draw, Tatai Lab, Spaceman Project and KyleBrushes! A huge thanks to all of these awesome companies for being part of the CDChallenge journey!
The prizes for this month are:
- Concept Art Starter Kit & Digital Painting Starter Kit (video-tutorials lessons)
- Kyle's Ultimate: Megapack, Guache Set and Real Watercolors (digital brushes)
- Lùmina & Lùmina 2 (graphic novel)
- Nima & Nima: The Artbook (graphic novel)
- Character Design Masterclass & Anatomy in Action (artbooks)
- 21Draw: Book One & Illustrator's Guidebook (artbooks)
Check the Rewards section of our website to discover all the prizes! You can find it HERE
If you wish to access the Challenge Rewards, simply repost your design for the current Theme of the Month on Patreon, as a Supporter of the CDChallenge. Being a Supporter doesn't just help us massively to keep the CDChallenge going, will also make you vote in the survey to choose the future themes every month, and discover them before anybody else, 2 days earlier! Visit our Patreon page here HERE